For a listing of services in Niagara that support older adults visit the Community Information Database or call 211.
The Age-Friendly Niagara Network publishes a monthly e-newsletter that highlights age-friendly action, events, resources and news stories. To receive this communication, subscribe to our mailing list.
Past newsletters are included below:
Additional Age-Friendly Resources
Niagara-Focused Resources – located on the Niagara Knowledge Exchange (NKE):
- Age-Friendly Niagara Network: Implementing the Niagara Aging Strategy & Action Plan (NASAP) Focused Action Priorities (2018-2019)This two-page roadmap describes the governance structure of the Age-Friendly Niagara Network, as well as the 2018-2019 focused action priorities across three Action Groups of the AFNN:
- Community Engagement and Communications
- Recreation, Learning and Leisure
- Improved Services, Systems and Infrastructure
Federal Candidate Brief Prepared by the Age-Friendly Niagara Network
Targeted to candidates running in Niagara ridings for the October 2019 Federal Election, this two-page brief outlines the contributions older adults make to our community, the ways in which Niagara has already made progress towards becoming age-friendly, and what federal candidates can do to help champion this work.
- Age-Friendly Niagara Initiative: Roundtable Conversation Highlights
This document profiles common themes for actions that emerged from the 2012 Niagara-wide roundtable conversations.
- Age-Friendly Niagara Initiative Year 3 Final Evaluation Report
This document provides an overview and impact of age-friendly activities from 2010 to 2013.
- Through an Age-Friendly Lens: Planning for an Inclusive and Economically Vibrant Niagara – Event Recording
This is a recording of the November 7, 2013 webinar with presenters Paula Gardner & Dominic Ventresca. Paula explores principles of age-friendly work and provides global examples. Dominic provides background information on the Age-Friendly Niagara Network and discusses how global concepts are applied within a Niagara context.
- Age-Friendly Niagara: Authors Guide
This resource describes the criteria and process for submitting articles about work that positively promotes and advances the principles of age-friendly communities.
- Age-Friendly Action in Niagara: Community Articles 2010-2013
This document contains 61 articles written by volunteers around Ontario’s Niagara region who were engaged in the Age-Friendly Niagara Initiative (2010 to 2013).
- Creating an Age-Friendly Business in Welland/Pelham
This guide aims to assist local businesses in creating an age-friendly environment.
- Toolkit for Becoming an Age-Friendly Niagara
Whether you are a Niagara business owner, an employee serving customers, an organization leader or service provider, this ten-page took kit will help to strengthen your work by planning through an Age-Friendly Lens.
- Inquisitive Minds Radio Show: Assessing the Age-Friendliness of St. Catharines’ Downtown Core
This interview discusses how accessible downtown St. Catharines is for seniors.
- Through Their Eyes: An intergenerational project examining age-friendliness in the Niagara Region
This project paired 45 students with 20 seniors in Niagara to better understand what makes an age-friendly community.
- Aging Well in Niagara: A Conversation About the Needs of Seniors
In Fall 2012, Niagara Region asked residents about how it can better support seniors as they age in their homes. Through public forums and surveys, seniors and others shared their thoughts and ideas in several areas.
- Seniors in Niagara: Creating Age-Friendly Communities (2009)
- Growing Niagara: A Closer Look at Niagara’s Aging Population (2017)